The Wasgenring school campus, by F. and B. Haller, was created in 1950 – a ground-breaking design for its time, based on the philosophy of garden cities and modular building methods. The school is defined by its aesthetically challenging surroundings, a simple layout that does not restrict individual needs, low-density building and collective organisation.
The implementation of the heterogenous spatial requirements for the new buildings is achieved through a long building volume structured as four two-storey wings. Clear spatial variation results from this, in both the external appearance and the sequence of spaces within. Links to the Hallers’ structures emerge. Thus, the building structure positions itself as a combination of individual pavilions within a park landscape. The narrow ends are closed, while long sides are designed with large windows facing the forecourt or the garden. Through
transparent sections and indentations the project meshes with its context and becomes an implicit element of it.
The new building adopts the language of the existing buildings and formulates a timely answer in response. The result is a building that continues the modulation of the existing architecture and its search for form, but equally one that speaks its own language and introduces new elements, and in so doing carries forward the history of the school campus.
- Patrick Reuter, Lukas Raeber
- Rapp Arcoplan Generalplaner: Thomas Stegmaier
- Westpol Landschaftsarchitekten: Andy Schönholzer
- Site: Basel, Schulcampus Wasgenring
- Client: Hochbauamt Kanton Basel-Stadt
- Type of use: Schulhaus
- Floor area: 1`981 m2
- Volume: 6`630 m3
- Construction cost BKP 2: 7.2 Mio CHF